Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Emily's Back Surgery

So it turns out that I don't have piriformis syndrome.  I was not getting better at all, actually getting worse, so I was finally able to get approved for an MRI.  The MRI found that I have a herniated disc between the L5-S1 vertebrae.  So I got to have surgery to remove the goo from my disc that is pinching my sciatic nerve and causing me all the pain in my right leg and butt on my right side.  My surgery was a same day surgery at Deaconess Hospital.  My surgeon was Dr Heller.  My friend Eva Marie was the CRNA.  (She works at Valley doing epidurals).  It was a quick surgery and I only barfed once after surgery.  My recovery went pretty well.  My back was sore but I never needed narcotics.  I just took Motrin and Tylenol and muscle relaxers.  I still had some nerve pain after the surgery.  I was afraid that the surgery didn't work.  It just took a while for my nerve to heal.  

This is my herniated nerve
This is what a normal disc looks like
This is my disc.  You can see how on the left (the image is inverted because it is on the right) is pinching my sciatic nerve.
Waiting for surgery.  My gown was a bear hugger gown and could be plugged in to a hose that blew warm air.  It kept me nice and warm.

Tanner and Emilie sent me flowers

My lovely incision
After 2 weeks of healing

 

0 comments :