Monday, June 20, 2011

Trek

Kirt and I had the privilege of going on Trek with the youth in our stake last week. We left Monday morning and drove buses down near the Tri-Cities. We got there and set up camp and did pioneer dancing that night. Tuesday we got up and Trekked about 6 1/2 miles. It was really hot. We did the hard rope pull that day. We pulled all 29 of our wagons up a very steep hill. Unfortunately our bodies were not used to the heat and we had about 30 people that day have problems with dehydration. We camped that night on the top of a hill with no shade and no running water. It was miserable. Wednesday we got up and walked another 6 1/2 miles. We did the "Sweet Water" crossing. After that we walked across some very rough terrain. We went back to the main camp that night because it had shade and running water and we had more sick people. I'm so glad we did. It felt so good to wash my feet and hands with running water. Plus that night it was so windy that I think our tents would have blow away if we had camped on the top of the hill where we had planned to camp that night. Thursday we got up and trekked 10 miles. It was still so windy that the dusk was blowing everywhere and we were covered in it. We did the women's pull where the women pull the handcarts without the mens help. We had a testimony meeting that night. Friday we got up and cleaned up camp. The kids had a solo experience where they wrote in their journals and read letters from their parents. Then we got to go home. I am so grateful for the pioneers and all they sacrificed. I am also so grateful for all of our modern conveniences. A warm shower has never felt so good.







3 comments :

Kari said...

Who's the guy with the beard?

Krista said...

Wow! Way to go, I hope I never get picked as a "Ma and Pa" for those treks...looks plain awful. There's a reason I was born now, way to go guys.

Jeff and Erika Mitchell said...

Oh my that does not look fun. It was hard enough doing that as a youth let alone an adult not in shape! I am impressed.